No. While a Stages Link account is highly recommended to take advantage of some of the features of the Dash, a Link account is not required to use the unit.
If you are using the Dash L10, you are able to convert ride files to .FIT by enabling the .FIT Export feature on your device.
You do not need to subscribe to a premium account to use Stages Link. A number of features are available for free accounts as well, including:
- Wirelessly upload files using the Stages Link mobile app.
- Update Dash settings, manage activity profiles, and configure most Dash settings through the Dash Manager tab.
- Take advantage of data brokering services to automatically upload to Training Peaks and Strava.
- Convert .rde files to .FIT format.
- Update firmware on the Stages Dash (v1) and Stages Dash L10 via Stages Sync. Automated reminders will notify you of new firmware updates for Stages Dash and Stages Power meters.
Additional features, including preset training plans and customizable workouts are available with a Stages Link Premium account. Compare free and premium Link features here.